TINY BATH PROBLEMS:
The pressing issue was a leak in the shower in this 37 square foot ensuite bath connected to the parents' bedroom.
- the toilet was too close to the shower wall (code requires 'a minimum 15" clearance from the centerline of the toilet to any wall, fixture or other obstacle' and there was only 12")
- the toilet was too long for the space
- the door opened into the toilet
- the only storage was in the medicine cabinet and it wasn't enough
- there was no counter space
- the style was dated
TINY BATH SOLUTIONS:
Using the same layout and without adding any square footage to the existing 37 SF footprint, this tiny bath in a mid-century modern Montclair ranch house is packed with smart improvements:
- A new toilet solved 2 problems: it was repositioned to be code compliant and the elongated toilet (length 31") was replaced with a smaller round-front model (25.5"). A wall mount toilet would have saved even more space but the plumbing in the wall right behind it was too costly to move.
- The door swing was reversed to open into the bedroom instead of into the bathroom.
- A new vanity solved 2 storage and organization problems: the pedestal sink was replaced with a vanity outfitted with a roll-out storage drawer and shelf (cut out around the P-trap under the sink) plus a countertop with integrated sink.
- A new single handle faucet replaced the 8" spread set-up for more clear counter space.
- The new medicine cabinet has a height adjustable, swing out magnifying mirror.
- Even though it is the same size, the new shower feels larger because the soffit above was removed and frameless glass doors replaced a shower curtain.
- 3 corner shelves were added to the shower.
- Structural supports (aka "blocking") was installed behind the tile in the shower for future placement of a grab bar.
- Lever handles on sink and shower faucets are convenient for everyone and excellent for aging in place.
- The 7.5" diameter multi-function Grohe EcoJoy shower head has water conserving technology without sacrificing luxury.
- Low voltage radiant floor heat supplements the whole house heating and cooling.
- A humidity sensor controls the exhaust fan.
One of the goals of this tiny bath renovation was to create a more modern look and feel. We selected a color palette of white and grey with pops of color.
- The 24" wide Kohler Mohair Grey vanity with integrated counter & sink has a tailored modern feel.
- The 4x8 white wall tile is a modern take on 3x6 subway tile. The random pops of orange, lime and black add whimsy and fun.
- The main flooring material was selected for color and style but also safety: the modern 5x5 grey hex tile has slightly raised textured patterns and so reduces risk of slipping when the floor is wet.
- The shower floor uses 2x2 porcelain tile with a slightly rough surface for safety.
- The globe wall light contributes to the mid-century feel.
- Tile is trimmed with metal edge banding instead of tile bullnose.
General Contractor: Robert Patton Designs